popovers

This past weekend, some friends and I went out to an amazingggg steak dinner… and while the entire meal was delish, my favorite, FAVORITE part was this incredible, steaming, puffy popover (I am a carb-lover, what can I say).

I did some research when I got home and realized that popovers really aren’t that hard to make. They look like it – but they really only take about 45 minutes from start to finish. And that includes baking time!

Popovers

Adapted from Chef Deborah Scott at Island Prime
Makes 12 popovers

Ingredients
– 2 cups of unbleached, all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
– 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
– 3 eggs
– 2 tablespoons of melted butter
– 1 3/4 cups of milk

1. Before you start baking, set the oven to 450 degrees.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together.

3. In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add the milk and melted butter and mix.

4. Add the egg, milk, and butter mixture to the flour. Mix until smooth.

5. Place an aluminum popover pan (or a cupcake pan if you’re not quite committed enough to buy a pan dedicated specifically to popovers) in the oven for 5 minutes to preheat. The popovers won’t be the same unless the pan is hot before your pour the batter in!

6. Spray each cup with nonstick cooking spray.

7. Pour the mix into cupcake pan. Fill each popover until 3/4 full.

8. Bake for 8 minutes at 450 degrees.

9. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 12 minutes. Serve hot!

(I’ve had some mixed reviews on what to do after they are baked – I recommend serving with butter and salt drizzled on top, or melting some cheese on top about 3 minutes before they are ready to come out of the oven. My dad recommends adding powdered sugar or syrup and making it into a dessert!)

8 Responses to popovers

1. Leslie *Fresh Out of Lemons* says:

Well they do just kind of “pop over” don’t they?! I don’t think I’ve ever had one. Is the texture like a muffin? cornbread? a biscuit?

Leslie

2. Star says:

They do sort of just pop over! It’s funny to see it happen! The texture is similar to a biscuit. Instead of turning out light and airy like popovers are supposed to, they turned out to be a little bit doughy. The good thing about it is that they didn’t deflate!

3. Nicole Maki says:

I taught my youngest son to make popovers and he makes them for an afternoon snack at least three times a week. They’re so delicious. Glad to see another popover enthusiast online 🙂

4. lexi says:

I am absolutely making these! (I’ll let you know how it goes!)

xox Lexi
    Glitter & Pearls

5. Gloria says:

i LOVE popovers 🙂 i usually eat them with a bit of butter & jam – delicious!

6. jaclyn @ thelateafternoon says:

these popovers are so adorable – i love the way they just explode over the pan! as a carb lover myself, i may just have to try these – they look incredibly fluffy and delicious!

your blog is fabulous, by the way! its great how you incorporate your MBA studies (im a business major too) and crafting/baking!

7. Jean says:

I actually have two popover pans! I love kitchen tools… 🙂 Have you ever tried the popovers served at the Neiman Marcus in-store cafes? They are are served with strawberry butter…YUM!